The history of the Royal Palace in the Buda Castle, which was at that time recognised as a magnificent royal residence in Europe, dates back to the 14th century, the reign of kings Louis the Great, Sigismund, and Matthias Corvinus (1458–1490). The state of the building badly deteriorated during the Turkish occupation starting in 1541, and during the Battle of Buda in 1686. The restoration, in the then fashionable Baroque style, began during the reign of Queen Maria Theresa in 1749. At the end of the 19th century the palace was expanded with another wing according to the plans of architects Miklós Ybl and Alajos Hauszmann, and later neo-Baroque ornamentation was also added. During World War II the building was again severely damaged; its reconstruction began in the 1960s. The Hungarian National Gallery moved to the Royal Palace of Buda Castle in 1975.